Monday, August 10, 2009

Acoustics and Plankton



Today at 5:45 AM I watched as the hydrophone array was deployed off the stern of the boat. The instrument contains four different hydrophones that are designed to record sounds of different frequencies. Sounds are recorded during the time that we do the visual observations and then the recorded sounds will be matched with the observations. The observers saw some sperm whales today and I was able to hear them as they went past the ship.

I also helped collect plankton today at noon and again at 6PM. The two large nets are called bongos and they are pulled behind the boat. The nets have different sized mesh and collect different types of plankton. I will be bringing samples back to Winnacunnet for my students to observe.

After the 6PM plankton tow, the Video Plankton Recorder was launched. This large, yellow instrument that looks like a glider is pulled at a depth of 2000 meters and the plankton is photographed. I will also be able to bring some of these pictures back to school.

I know the pictures are small, just click on them and they'll get bigger.

No comments:

Post a Comment