Friday, August 14, 2009

I went fishing!

We probably had the most sightings today of any day so far, in spite of the conditions. We started, as we always do, at 6 AM but we were only able to observe for a few minutes before it started raining. We started observing again at 10 AM and from 11-12 it was very busy. There were so many dolphins that we extended the observation time to 12:15 to allow us to identify them all. The wind picked up and we had to stop observing for the day at 2:00.

After dinner I got to go fishing on the stern of the boat. My fishing buddy Charlie let me use one of his fishing rods and we trolled for about an hour and a half. I've done a lot of fishing, and I do like the stern of the boat, but I've never fished from a 208.6' boat that cost $60 million before. We didn't catch anything, but it was really fun.

The day wasn't a total washout in the fishing department. Just a few minutes ago, Jim the friendly survey technician, called me out to the deck where they had just brought in the plankton nets. A lamprey eel was attached to the net's weight and it will soon be on display in my classroom at Winnacunnet High School in Hampton, NH.

No comments:

Post a Comment