Sunday, August 16, 2009

Another Great Day


Today was our last day for observing marine mammals and turtles. Again, the seas were very calm, there was no fog or rain, and there was no wind: a great day for observing animals. We saw fin, sperm, pilot, and beaked whales; common, bottlenosed, Risso's, and striped dolphins; leatherback and loggerhead turtles; manta rays, and ocean sunfish.

We'll be heading back to Newport tonight and should be there tomorrow morning.

I had a great time and would like to thank all my new friends for helping me to feel welcome and to learn as much as I could. There is a lot to learn to do this job and they were all very patient with me.

Thanks to Debi for allowing me to come along. Denise, Danielle, and Joy explained the acoustic system to me. Betsy collected plankton for me. Gordon, Melissa, Allison, Irene, Carol F., Betty, Pete, and Kalyn all helped me learn how to observe. Special thanks go to my roommate Carol R. who was especially helpful.

The crew of the Bigelow was also very helpful and friendly. Everyone was willing to answer questions. They definitely made the trip an enjoyable one.

1 comment:

  1. Awesome! Thanks for sharing your adventures with us !

    Steve Bauer

    ReplyDelete