Wednesday, August 5, 2009

We're on our way.



We finally left Newport at 10 AM. It was a little hazy but we were still able to see the beautiful homes and lighthouses that Newport is famous for.

We had an "abandon ship" drill after we had been out at sea a few hours. We had to carry our survival suits, life jacket, hat, and long sleeved shirt to the aft deck and quickly put the survival suit on. It's called a Gumby suit because it's so bulky and rubbery and after I realized that I should take my sneakers off, I was able to get into it. We had to zipper it all the way up and be checked and then we had to take it off, roll it up and put it back into the carrying bag.

We had just lugged everything back to our room when we had a "fire drill". This time we had to carry everything to our muster area (the conference room) and be checked off again.

After all that excitement, I practiced using the Big Eyes and the computer program that is used to log the sightings. It was too foggy to do distance tests that we had planned to do.

Tomorrow I hope to see some marine mammals.

No comments:

Post a Comment