Friday, August 7, 2009

I saw a sperm whale!


Today was a windy, sunny day. We saw a lot of dolphins: Atlantic white sided, common, striped, and bottlenosed. We also saw pilot whales and sperm whales.

The highlight of the day came for me at 2:25. I was on the port Big Eye and I saw a blow about two miles away. I called out the required information that I could at that time: distance, bearing, behavior, and number. I thought it must be a sperm whale and hoped that I would be able to see it. It blew again and its head came out of the water. The head was large and rounded and I thought it was a sperm whale. The other observers asked me all the appropriate questions to help me decide if it was indeed a sperm whale. I said it was and it was recorded. A short time later the scientists who were recording the whale sounds said that they had recorded a sperm whale in the location of my sighting.

No comments:

Post a Comment